Monday, March 10, 2008

Notes 8 - good enough for your kids?

RIM decided to remove some of the features of the Desktop Manager in their upgrade to 4.3, most notably (for me) was the removal of Synchronization support for Lotus Organizer. My wife and I have been using Blackberrys (ies?) for years now and since I refuse to use Outlook on any household machine we've used Organizer 6 since well I can't remember when. With 4.3, the support for this and other calender/contact managers "goes away" which leaves me in somewhat of a quandary . . . . move to Notes8 for household email/calender/contacts or keep rolling with Thunderbird for email and switch to Notes for calendar/contacts? I should be using Notes for my domestic and work email, but I have 11 email addresses spread over 7 domains and Notes is, to say the least, not the best at dealing with multiple email addresses forget about domains in a client unlike T-bird.
Which brings me to my question of the day. How can IBM Lotus make a serious move into the collegiate/small business/domestic market (which I believe have similar usage demographics) without having an email client that can support multiple addresses and domains to send from without the need of a server or switching location docs. Even Outlook can do this now! I heard a lot about the re-focusing of sales efforts towards the true (not IBM's past view) Small to Medium Business market (<100 style="font-weight: bold;">any other email client because they've been using it since high-school or college. Not because the other client isn't any better - familiarization is what it's all about - if you're comfortable with it and it does what you need (whether you could do more with another client is another story) then why would you want to change? I've used Notes for 15 years now and I'm comfortable with it. I use Outlook in a new job and I hate it. It's not intuitive (to me) perhaps because I've used Notes for so long. Or perhaps it's because it isn't intuitive - I've used thousands of apps through the years both inside and outside of the Lotus catalog and Outlook ranks up there with the least well designed UIs I've ever seen. IBM Lotus needs to back up the Sales and Marketing effort with a product flexible enough to suit domestic, small business and enterprise users in a single package. It would be very nice to see, but I guess I won't be hlding my breath . . . .

No comments: